Sunday, October 17, 2021

Polite Society

When I was a girl, my father always told me that it was considered impolite to talk about religion and politics. My parents were always secretive about their political leanings. We didn't practice any religion in my home and we also didn't talk about anyone else's religion. I had friends who went to church weekly and that was cool; that's what their family did. They never talked to us about it unless my brother or I asked. 

As I observe our country, now divided in the worst possible way, I long for the days when strangers didn't ask you about your most deeply held beliefs. We have a new neighbor. A few weeks ago, my husband and this new neighbor met for the first time. This neighbor asked my husband about his religious beliefs and tried to get him to talk about his political beliefs. I see no reason for this. There are plenty of subjects that can be discussed during small talk - sports, movies, music, our neighborhood. 

Some people's desire to label themselves and to start what could be an awkward conversation only creates more division. It's fine to want to meet others in your "tribe" and to prefer to socialize with them, though it is important to learn how to be tolerant of others. The very fact that we know almost immediately if someone's views align with ours is part of the problem. Let's keep some things to ourselves and we will all get along much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's So Great About Working From Home?

 Pros: Using your own bathroom Eating your own food without having to prepare it and pack it for lunch Your pets don't miss you You...