Sunday, November 7, 2021

Holiday Traditions

As Halloween ends, the holiday season begins. Yes, let’s enjoy the remaining days of Autumn, as we continue to rake leaves, watch football on Sundays and partake of everything pumpkin spice.

More often than not, the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving fly by so fast that before I know it, I’m asking myself, “what happened to November?” This year feels different for me for several reasons. In December 2019, my husband and I made a very big move to our current home from our former home 700 miles away. It was exhausting, exciting, but ultimately disappointing. We had barely arrived here and it was Christmas. No time for decorating and digging up what we had packed and the stores were sold out of most decorations anyway. Last year, the pandemic had taken hold, we were having home renovations done and I got Covid right around Christmas. This year, we are vaccinated, we know now how to best protect ourselves and we hope to do a little more, health permitting.

Yesterday, I did something that I hadn’t done in many years, but something I enjoyed as a child and young adult. I went to a craft fair. Our county always had a craft fair each year that was held in a local high school. My mother, brother, and I would wander around, usually see some friends or acquaintances, and leave with a few treasures. We are older now, but yesterday we did that again and aside from the mask-wearing, it felt so nostalgic, which I suppose is the reason for traditions.

My children are grown now, but we had traditions that I cherished. I hope that they remember them as fondly as I do. Families change, times change and with that, traditions that used to bond us have changed. So many people struggle to hold onto family holiday traditions and I suppose I am one of those, but that doesn’t stop the passage of time. Hold onto the good memories you make because one day, you will want to remember the people and places that made you who you are today.

How have holiday traditions changed within your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's So Great About Working From Home?

 Pros: Using your own bathroom Eating your own food without having to prepare it and pack it for lunch Your pets don't miss you You...